Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Baked Oatmeal Caserole

I have started a new routine of working out in the morning. This is a big deal.  I have been attempting to do this for 3 years and have not be successful   It seems to be going well, however one issue is that now I am starving as soon as I get to work.  The last thing I need is to run across the street and grab a bagel and throw my workout efforts away so quickly!
We had tried smoothies (which I love and have a few good recipes for) but I didn't want them pre-workout, and haven't found a way to keep them somewhat frozen for post-workout.  I had been looking around for healthy but filling things I could bring to work and I think I found it! Thanks to this blog, I found a great idea that is also Gluten-Free!  I made a big dish on Sunday and then each night I can just cut a square and throw it in Tupperware.  I grab it in the morning and then after I work out and get to work I just heat it up for a few seconds! I used bananas and blueberries this go around as we had them on hand.  I think next time I will add strawberries.  I also think that I will double the recipe to make it a little thicker.  My version is below with some substitutions. 

Baked Oatmeal Casserole
*gluten free

What you Need:
-2 cups of gluten free rolled oats
-1/3 cup of brown sugar
-1 teaspoon of baking powder
-2 teaspoons of cinamon
-1/2 teaspoon of salt 
-1 cup of walnut pieces
-1 cup blueberries
-1/8 cup of chocolate chips
-1 cups of Almond Milk
-1/4 cup of egg beaters
- 1 Tablespoon of melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
-1 large banana 

Directions:
1) Preheat over to 375 degrees and spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. 

2) In a large bowl mix together: oats, sugar, salt, baking powder, half the walnuts, half the berries and all of the chocolate chips.

3) In another medium sized bowl whisk together: milk, eggs, butter and vanilla

4) Add the dry oat mixture to the casserole dish spreading evenly along the bottom. 

5) Pour the egg mixture evenly of the oats. 


6) Sprinkle the top with the remaining berries and walnuts. Add banana slices to the top.  Gently shake back and forth the dish to ensure the liquid is evenly spread throughout. 


7) Bake in middle of oven for about 45 minutes or until golden.  Enjoy all week! 



2 comments:

  1. This looks so good kenz!! And so proud of you for the morning workouts!! Ive been trying to do that too and it's def tough but so nice to get it over with! -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nik! Yeah it is tough but then it is so nice after work when you can just hangout. I hope we can keep it up! This casserole is really good! I don't love the bananas on it but Alex really likes them. I think next week I am going to try just blueberries and strawberries.

      Delete